Join Pam as we continue the discussion about Soul Sisters. Today’s episode reflects on 4 things we can do to be an amazing Soul Sister to those around us.
- Refrain from gossip.
- Let your language be that of love and encouragement,
- Be willing to lay down your life for another
- Be a true prayer partner
Welcome to the soul sister podcast with Pam Bailey grab a cup of coffee sister and let us sit and chat about all of the things that lead us to a Christ centered life full of purpose and joy.
Hi, sisters, welcome to today’s episode, I am your host, Pam. I am so excited that you have come back for more of the soul sister podcast. If you listen to the first episode that premiered, I talked about what soul sisters are and why we need them in our life. So today I want to do a continuation of that discussion. I want to look at the opposite side of that, instead of why you need soul sisters, but how you can be a better soul sister. If you are just joining me for the first time, and you have no idea what last week’s discussion look like. That is okay, I am going to do a little recap here. So, we were basing the conversation around the relationship of David and Jonathan found in First Samuel.
We talked about how Jonathan soul was knitted to David’s, and how we need that kind of relationship in our life. Ladies, let me just say whether it is one soul sister you have or 10, no one is counting. But it is really important that you have someone in your life that you can do life with. Jesus called us into community. Jesus is the greatest example of community that we were ever given. I know that often we look at his ministry and see the calling of the 12 disciples. Yes, they were a disciple. He was teaching them he was preparing them to be the fathers of the early church but, he was also in relationship with them. We can even go a little bit further. We can look at relationships, like Paul and Timothy. It was so special. Paul even talks about how special Timothy was to him.
Then we have friends that Paul was like, pray for my friend, this man is so special to me in the ministry. So, we see these types of relationships playing out all throughout the Bible, and the importance of community. I want you to hear me again, it is important for you to be in community. The specialness of community is that often we find a soul sister. So, I’ll just do a quick recap of why you need a soul sister. They are with you when you need comforting, they lead you towards repentance. They lead us in wisdom, and they encourage us and hold us up. So now today, let us jump right in. Let us talk about how to be an amazing soul sister. Because the reality is, you cannot expect to have soul sisters when you are not willing to be a soul sister.
I am going to repeat that you cannot expect to have soul sisters when you are not willing to be a soul sister.
- We refrain from gossip. Ladies and come in like straight out of the bullpen here. We are just going to jump in. Let us all take a deep breath because I know that this is an intense conversation that could be had by so many. Unfortunately, it gets even more intense in female circles. We have to refrain from gossip Proverbs 16:28 says a dishonest man spread strife, and a whisperer separates close friends. A whisper it is a gossiper. That alone should be enough for us to say these women matter in my life. I don’t want to be guilty of doing something that is going to separate us because I just chose to be a gossiper. Ladies, no one wants a gossiper in their life. No one wants to be a gossiper. I’m hoping sometimes we find ourselves in these chatty moments that honestly, we need to put our foot down and say this conversation does not need to continue. It is leading both of us down a path that is unhealthy and that is sin field. Ladies, I am going to be real. If you have found yourself in the gossiping chair in the past. If you have ruined relationships because of the gossiping, then I really, really want you to seek forgiveness and when you to go before the Father. I want you to go before the people that you possibly need to ask for forgiveness from and do that.
- Let your language be that of love and encouragement. Of course, you know that we cannot escape this part of the conversation without bringing out first Corinthians 13. I do not want to be a noisy Gong. But all of the amazing things that I could say in the entire universe, mean nothing if my language is not wrapped up in love. Ladies love is not defined by culture. But love is defined clearly, by Jesus Christ. He is love. God is love. Everything that he did was love. Everything that the spoke was love. He is the definition of love. So, my language has to be wrapped up in love. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 says, therefore encourage one another and build one another up. We are to have language that elevates people and not in a false hood. But that, builds people up in positivity. There’s so much power in our own life and death. Choose to give life over your sisters Ephesians 4:29 says, let no corrupting talk come out of your mouth. I am just going to say that corrupting talk could also be gossip. But only such as is good for building up as fits the occasion that it may give grace to those who hear love and encouragement, love, and encouragement.
- Be willing to lay down our life for another. That gets deep. John 15: 13 says, Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. If you remember the story of Jonathan and David, or you were with me last week, we saw this young man give away his robe and his armor to this guy, David, that he essentially just met and felt that his soul was knitted for. Ultimately, what he is saying is I will give you, my protection. We do know that eventually Jonathan lost his life. He lost his life on the battlefield. I am pretty sure that Jonathan had armor by that point. But the significance in that moment of him saying, David, there is something about you that I love, and I am going to be here with you, man. We are going to do this live together, and I am going to protect you. I am going to protect you. I know like sometimes in our culture and in today’s mindset, it is really hard to grasp our mind around scriptures like these, John 15:13. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends like, what Pam? Are you suggesting that I would offer my friends? Yes. Yes, I am. Yes, I understand that culturally speaking, that sounds like the craziest thing that you have ever heard on a podcast. But yes, we are to sacrifice some junk for our friends. We are.
- Be a true prayer partner. Ladies, I am going to have a real moment with you right now. I found myself several years ago of being guilty, guilty of saying I was going to pray. So, maybe this will speak to some of you that people would ask me, hey, Pam, will you pray for this? He would get emails and text messages and phone calls? You know, whatever. I will be like, Oh, yes, I am praying for you. It would never cross my mind. I became really convicted about that. Like, people were genuinely coming to me believing that I was a prayer warrior and would pray for them. I would say sure. Then never ever follow up on my word. Like it really convicted me. So, in that moment, I decided I am going to try something different. So that one, I do not come back on my word, but two the people who really genuinely feel like they need prayer, that I am giving that prayer. So, a lot of people would text me and my response instead of sure was, yes. Here is my written prayer. In that moment, I would write out a prayer from my heart for them, and it was not that I needed some light Oh gosh, Pam, you are so great. No, I needed to be a woman of my word. When people come to me and asked me to be praying over their life, and I agree to sign up for that, then I need to be a woman of my word.
So, I have gotten in moments now, where when someone calls and says, can you pray? Or someone sends me a message and says, can you pray? sisters, it doesn’t always have to be a 10-minute prayer conversation, okay? But 30 seconds of, hey, God, my friend just reached out to me and is asking for prayer. Father, I am actually not sure all of the details that are going on in her life. But right now, I think you Holy Spirit, that you pour out your wisdom, that you pour out your joy, you pour out your comfort, and you pour out your peace. Whatever the situation is, Holy Spirit, you work it out. That is, it friends. That is, it. While I do not always need to know the details of everything, at least I am truly being a woman of my word. I am petitioning to the Father, for the people in my life. Ephesians 6:18 says, praying at all times in the spirit with all prayer and supplication to that and keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints. So, when the saints asked me for prayer sisters, I going to pray.
James 5:16 says, therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working friends, we have got to be a good friend. If we really want to do this community thing that we have got to be a good friend. If we truly want friends who are knitted to our souls in our life, then I am telling you, you got to be a good friend. So, I will just review the four things right now of how to be an amazing Soul Sister, refrain from gossip. Let your language be that of love and encouragement, be willing to lay down your life for another, and be a true prayer partner. Sisters, I cannot think of anything greater in life than to actually serving my brother and sister in Christ by just simply being an amazing friend. While I can do all of those things, and I may not necessarily be knitted to someone’s soul, I am actually doing quite well, and serving the body of Christ by just living out those four characteristics. So, let us continue to live and to strive for unity in the body by just doing those things. Ladies, thanks so much for listening today. I hope that this podcast has blessed her soul. If you are not already following me on Instagram and Facebook, you can find me at Jesus and Pam, if you are loving the podcast, I would be so honored if you would go ahead and hit that subscribe button and leave me a review. Until next time, keep worshiping and finding joy in every moment.
leave a comment